Export Contacts from your Current Software
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Practice Management
- Tax Resolution
- Canopy Mobile App
- Canopy First Steps
- Canopy Updates
- Canopy First Look Webinars
- Guides for your Clients
Contacts can be exported from a variety of softwares so that you can easily transfer them to Canopy. This article provides basic instructions on for a selection of the most common migration cases. For more detailed instructions about exporting contacts from your software, please contact the specific software distributor. This list is not exhaustive. If you do not see your software listed, you may try referring to our Import Contacts to Canopy article for generalized import contact import instructions.
The templates below show which fields you will need to pull from your current software when exporting contacts. If the required fields cannot be pulled from the software directly, you will need to reformat the fields you are able to pull to match what is shown on the templates.
Before importing to Canopy, you must ensure that the format of your downloaded CSV file(s) (from your previous software) matches Canopy's required formatting. You will need at least two files -- one for Individuals and one for Businesses.
Formatting for Individuals
Names need to be separated into First Name, Middle Initial, and Last Name columns for both Main Taxpayers and Spouses. (See template above for reference)
Birthdates need to be formatted as MM/DD/YYYY. (Most softwares pull the date with a two digit year. Make sure to fix this before importing)
Address information needs to be separated into Street 1, Street 2 or Apt., City, State, Zip, and Country columns. (See template above for reference)
Each phone number should be in its own column/cell and should only include numbers. Dashes, periods, and other symbols must be removed. (Letters and special characters will cause errors)
SSNs must have 9 digits and cannot be masked.
Any fields that you would like to pull but do not see a place for in Canopy will need to be created as a Custom Field. This can be done during the import process or beforehand in your settings.
All tags should be added to the same column/cell and separated by commas (see template for reference). Sample tags include: entity type, service provided, team member associated/account manager, etc.
Formatting for Businesses
- Contact Person should be used for the owner or main person associated with the business and can be a full name (does not need to be separated like Individuals)
- Address information needs to be separated into Street 1, Street 2 or Apt., City, State, Zip, and Country columns. (See template above for reference)
- Each phone number should be in its own column/cell and should only include numbers. Dashes, periods, and other symbols must be removed. (Letters and special characters will cause errors)
- Any fields that you would like to pull but do not see a place for in Canopy will need to be created as a Custom Field. This can be done during the import process or beforehand in your settings.
- All tags should be added to the same column/cell and separated by commas (see template for reference). Sample tags include: entity type, service provided, team member associated/account manager, etc.
1. Click Reports.
2. Click Report Manager.
3. Click Client reports to expand the list.
4. Click Client contact to expand the list.
5. Click Address list (all clients).
6. Click Edit report to select which fields you want to pull.
7. Select all appropriate fields. (Refer to the templates and instructions above for guidance)
8. Click Save.
9. Click View Report.
For more information/more detailed instructions, please refer to Drake's help materials.
UltraTax Data Mining
1. Click Utilities.
2. Click Data Mining.
3. Click Design Custom Reports.
4. Add a name or description for the report.
- For example: 1040 Client List
5. After selecting all required fields, proceed to Step 5 for SP info.
6. To get SP SSN information, click the Product drop down menu.
- Switch to Federal.
- Select the Input Screen field.
- Click Select Fields.
7. Click Okay.
8. Click Done.
9. On the left side, click Export to export the custom list you've created.
- Your custom list can typically be found on the bottom of the page.
- Please Note: The All Clients box (second box) must be selected for the export to function correctly.
10. Click Continue.
11. Select Excel followed by Export.
1. Unmask SSN information.
- Click on the Tools tab.
- Choose Options.
- In General Settings, ensure that Mask data in home base is unselected.
2. Click Homebase.
3. Select Add/Edit Custom Views.
4. Select which entity type you want to begin with.
5. Input a name for the new custom view.
- For example: Canopy 1040
6. On the right-hand side, select each information column you wish to import to Canopy.
- For guidance on which columns to include, refer to the import templates provided at the beginning of this article.
7. After selecting all desired columns, click Save.
8. Repeat steps 3-7, as needed, for each desired entity type.
9. After creating all desired custom views, exit the current window.
10. On the left-hand side, select Homebase View and select the first custom view created in step 3.
11. On the home screen, click on the Homebase tab and select Export View.
12. Repeat steps 10 and 11 for each entity type created.
1. Select all clients by pressing F3 on your keyboard.
2. Click Export in the top-left.
3. Customize which fields you want to pull. Reference the formatting instructions and templates above for guidance.
- Please note: Lacerte does not pull column headers. Copy or screenshot your customized list before you close it.
4. Repeat the export process for each entity type.
5. Name each report with an associated entity type (i.e. 1040, 1065, 1120, 1120S, etc.).
Quickbooks Online (integration/sync)
Please refer to our Sync your Canopy account with QBO help article.
1. Click Reports.
2.Select Customers & Receivables.
3. Click Client contact list.
4. Choose Customize report at the top of the page and select the appropriate fields. Reference the formatting instructions and templates above for guidance.
5. Click Okay.
6. Click the Export icon to download an Excel file.
1. Click on the Clients tab.
2. Select Export Clients in the top-left.
- Please note, client export is only available if you have owner permissions.
- Please reference their help materials for assistance: https://intercom.help/jetpackworkflow/en/articles/751421-export-a-client-list
Please refer to their help materials.
1. Navigate to the Account hub using the box icon next to your username.
2. Click on Federal Return Summary Report.
3. Select the date and your EFIN number.
4. Click Run report.
5. Customize the Column section. Reference the formatting instructions and templates above for guidance on what information to include.
- When you check All it turns everything red. Select the columns you want to deselect.
Please refer to their provided help materials.
1. Navigate to support.taxwise.com.
2. Click on Reports located under Preparer Solutions.
3. Select Generate for your Client list.
4. Click Refresh and you can download the CSV file.
- Please note: This will not pull the DOB.
1. Click on Options to customize the column headers. Reference the formatting instructions and templates above for guidance on what information to include.
2. Follow the ATX help materials located here.
You can refer to their help resources here.
1. Open Return Manager.
2. In the Quick Search criteria, set filters to All.
3. Click Go.
4. Press Control + A on your keyboard to select all client IDs.
5. Click the Home tab.
6. Click Export Grid.
7. Select where you want to save the file.
8. Enter a File name and click Save.
1. Click Clients on the left side.
2. Click the Download icon in the top-right.
- Please note: This will not pull DOB or SSN information.
1. Click Reports in the top-right.
2. Select a report drop down and click Client Export.
3. Change the applicable Start Date.
4. Choose the practitioner.
5. Choose All return types.
6. Export to Excel.
7. Open your Chrome browser settings and select Save page as from the More Tools popout.
8. Open your saved file in Excel.
- Each client is duplicated based on Atom's tags. Migrating from Atom will require significant manual clean up.