Create a Recurring Invoice
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Product Education Video Series
- Practice Management
- Tax Resolution
- Guides for your Clients
- Canopy Mobile App
- Canopy First Steps
- Canopy Updates
Recurring invoices can be set up to be sent automatically according to your own custom schedule. To get started, click on the Global Add Icon in Canopy.
- Permissions: Create, Edit, & Send Invoices; Invoices
1. Select Invoice from the slide-in menu.
2. Click on the Invoice dropdown in the top-left corner.
3. Choose Recurring Invoice from the dropdown.
4. Assign a Contact to the invoice.
5. Input a Description for the invoice.
6. As needed, change the Terms for when payment is due.
- The Due Date will automatically update to reflect changes to the Terms.
7. Select which columns to display on the invoice by checking their category in the Column Visibility dropdown menu.
- Click Done to update the visible columns.
- These are the columns that will be visible on the final invoice.
8. Fill out the start and end times for when the recurring invoice will be sent out.
- Select a Start Date.
- Select an option for when the invoice will quit recurring.
- You can choose to quit After a set number of occurrences, quit On a specified Date, or Never.
9. Specify the repetition information.
- Select a Frequency.
- Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or Yearly.
- Select a Repeat schedule.
- Day, First, Second, Third, Fourth, or Last.
- The subsequent columns will update according to your Repeat selection.
- Fill out the remaining columns as needed.
10. Complete your line item invoice information.
- Input a Service Item.
- Fill out each visible column.
- The columns will automatically update to reflect the service item's information.
- As needed, click + Add line item to add an additional service to the invoice.
11. As needed, click + Add saved time to add previously saved time entries to the invoice.
- On the saved time screen, check each time entry you wish to add to the invoice.
- Click Invoice Entries to add the selected entries to your invoice.
12. Toggle Single Line Invoice to create an invoice that shows only a description and the totals due.
- After toggling Single Line Invoice, you will not be able to edit your service items and time entries. To edit services again, toggle Single Line Invoice to off.
- Enter a Description for the the Single Line Invoice. Your description will be shown in place of the services.
13. To add a Client Note, switch the Client Note toggle to green.
14. To include Terms and Conditions, switch the Terms and Conditions toggle to green.
Setting Up Recurring Payments
Recurring Payments allows you to set a cadence of scheduled payments within a client invoice. To get started, follow the Create a Recurring Invoice guide to create an invoice.
Permissions: Access to the contact; Invoices; Create, edit & Send Invoices; Create, Edit & Refund Payments
1. Switch the Recurring Payments toggle to active (green).
2. Select a Payment date.
- You can require your clients to pay on the Due Date, or the Invoice Date.
3. Select a Payment method.
- You can choose Credit Card, ACH, or a previously added payment method.
4. Fill out your billing information.
5. As needed, check the Make default payment method option to save your billing information as your default payment method.
15. Click Preview to see how your invoice will look.
16. Click Send to send your invoice to your client.
- Alternatively, you can Save, Download, or Print the invoice by clicking on the associated icon.