Make an Account Payment
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Training Video Library
- Support Guides
- Tax Resolution
- Guides for Your Clients
- Canopy Mobile App
- Getting Started with Canopy
- Canopy Updates
Account payments (sometimes referred to as retainers, or non-invoiced payments) give clients the ability to make non-specific payments towards their account balance. Typically, clients might make account payments if they want to pre-pay for a service they know is coming up, or they would rather their accountant decide which invoice to pay down.
Account payments are stored as Credits in Canopy and can be allocated by the accountant as desired. For more information about applying account payment credits to invoices, please refer to the Apply a Billing Credit to an Invoice article.
To get started, click on the Global Add Button on the global navigation bar. These actions can also be taken from the payments dashboard.
Roles and permissions:
- Roles: Any
- Permissions: Create, Edit, & Refund Payments (to log payments); Credits (to view created credit); Payments (to view the credit memo and payment record);
1. Select Payment from the secondary navigation.
- This will open the Create a Payment modal.
2. Select a Contact to apply the account payment to in the Contact name field.
3. In the Account Payment well, add a description for the payment.
- This description might be Retainer, or Pre-payment for X service.
4. Input a payment amount in the provided box.
5. Click Continue.
6. The Payment date will default to the current date. If needed, change the payment date to a future date.
7. Use the Select payment method dropdown to select a payment method.
- You can choose from a saved payment method, or select a new payment method and input the payment details.
8. If needed, click + Add note to add a note to the payment.
9. Click Continue to proceed to the confirmation modal.
10. Click Confirm and pay to create a credit for the account payment.
11. Click Done.
- You can quickly enter additional payments by clicking Make Another Payment.
- Print or Download the receipt by clicking the associated icons.
The account payment will be saved as a credit. You can then apply that credit to an invoice, as needed. Follow the Apply a Billing Credit to an Invoice article for more.