Invite Clients to the Client Portal
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Practice Management
- Tax Resolution
- Canopy Mobile App
- Canopy First Steps
- Canopy Updates
- Canopy First Look Webinars
- Guides for your Clients
Inviting a client to Canopy enables your client to share files, complete the client survey, pay invoices, and more. Bulk client invites can be sent using the Client Portal manager. Individual invites can be sent in a variety of circumstances but utilize the same Client Portal pop up window.
Using the Client Portal Manager
The Client Portal Manager allows admins to see who’s been invited to the Client Portal, when the user last logged in, and what contact records the user has access to. You can also send and resend invites to the client portal in bulk. This will save plenty of time by not having to access each individual contact record to view these details and resend invitations to the Client Portal.
To get started, click Contacts on the global navigation bar.
- Roles: Admin
- Permissions: Access "Manage Client Portals"
1. Choose Manage Client Portals.
Inviting Clients to the Client Portal in Bulk
Invite multiple clients at one time using the client portal manager. If needed, you can invite an individual client through the same process. Our best practice recommendation is utilize the Client Portal Manger as much as possible.
1. Click Without client portals to view a list of your contacts that have no recorded access to the Client Portal.
2. Click the checkbox in-line with each contact you wish to invite to the Client Portal.
- If there is no email address listed for the contact, the checkbox will not be available to click.
3. Click Send Invite.
4. If needed, toggle the Include a personalized message switch to add a message to the Client Portal invite email.
- If available, click the Templates icon to use an email template for your message.
5. If needed, type a message to your clients in the start typing your message field.
- This message will apply to all invite emails sent to the clients you previously selected.
6. Click Send.
Review Client Portal Access
- Review which clients have access to the Client Portal, when the clients last logged in, and other details in the Client Portal Manager.
1. Click With portal users.
2. Filter contacts by clicking the drop-down menu.
- Available filters include:
- Show all
- Show all invited but not logged in
- Show all who have logged in.
3. Track your client's activity in the Client Portal by referring to the columns on the With Portal Users screen.
- Canopy did not record any web sessions, or instances of Client Portal usage, until February 2018. Any web sessions prior to this will not be counted on this screen.
Send Client Portal Invites Throughout Canopy
Canopy is built to make inviting a contact to the Client Portal simple and non-disruptive to your workflow. You can invite a client to the Client Portal when creating a new contact, after a contact already exists, when sending a client survey, or when sending an eSign request. Keep in mind, certain processes are available only after the purchase of certain licenses.
1. In the Client Portal window, check the box in-line with the client’s email address.
- If needed, click Add another person to add an email address.
- Type the email address of any additional recipients in the Enter the Email of a New Person textbox.
- Click Add.
- The Client Portal window will pop up as a prompt throughout various processes including, but not limited to, processes such as:
- Sending Client Requests
- Sending eSign Requests
- Making Files Visible to Clients
2. Toggle the Include a personalized message switch to add a message to the email invite.
- You can type your message in the available text field.
- If applicable, click Templates to use a message template in this field.