Import Contacts to Canopy
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Practice Management
- Tax Resolution
- Canopy Mobile App
- Canopy First Steps
- Canopy Updates
- Canopy First Look Webinars
- Guides for your Clients
If you are a Canopy subscriber, be sure to attend your Implementation appointment with our team. This appointment will guide you through the contact import process and answer any questions. Free trial customers are welcome to export a .CSV file from their previously utilized software and then upload it to Canopy. Importing clients to canopy involves uploading a .CSV file, mapping headers from the .CSV file to attributes in Canopy, and then importing those to the system. A best practice suggestion is to separate your individual clients from businesses and import them separately. This article will cover five sections:
Uploading the .CSV File
In order to import your existing contacts into Canopy, you will need to export all of your contacts into a .CSV (Comma Separated Value) file.
Please note that if you are using the Free version of Canopy, you will not be able to perform a bulk import of contacts.
To start uploading a .CSV file to Canopy, navigate to the Contacts List in Canopy.
- Roles: Admin
- Permissions: Import Contacts
1. Click on the Options menu.
2. Select Import Contacts from the dropdown menu.
3. Select the applicable option from the Select previous software drop-down menu.
- If none of the options fit, click Other.
- If needed, scroll down to read specific tips for how to successfully export to a CSV file from your previous software.
- With most softwares, you will need to export a form of Custom Report.
- When compiling a custom report, select each column you wish to include. The Canopy Import Templates can help you understand what you will need to export.
4. Select the type of contact list you plan to import.
- It is important to separate Individual contacts from Businesses.
- If you have both types of contacts, you will need to upload two .CSV files.
5. Click Upload from computer.
- Alternatively, you can drag and drop a file from your computer to the designated section in Canopy.
6. Click Next.
Mapping Headers to Attributes
All headers from your .CSV file need to be mapped to attributes in Canopy or dismissed before your data can be imported to Canopy. To start this process, you will need to have uploaded a .CSV file according to the steps listed in the previous section. Once your .CSV file has been uploaded, you will see a pop up window prompting you to map your .CSV headers.
1. Click the checkbox in line with the mapping template you would like to use.
- If the listed template options do not match, check Map Manually.
2. Click Map.
3. The headers from your .CSV file will display across the screen.
- These headers are meant to be for your information while you map headers to Canopy attributes.
- The headers of your .CSV file will not import.
4. Under Canopy Attributes, select the correct attribute from the drop-down menu that best fits the information listed in each column.
- The headers listed above from your .CSV file can help guide what attribute to assign to each column.
- The goal of this process is to match the header from your .CSV to the attribute from the drop-down.
5. If needed, type in a search for the attribute you wish to select.
- If you do not wish to import a specific column, select DO NOT IMPORT.
- Scroll to the Custom fields section to view custom fields you have already added to Canopy.
- Scroll to the left to continue assigning Canopy attributes to each column listed on your .CSV file.
Adding a Custom Field During the Mapping Process
If needed, you can add a custom field during this mapping process. Adding custom fields on the fly is helpful when you need to add a field quickly and efficiently to make mapping and importing easier and more efficient.
1. Click Add custom field.
2. Enter a Field name.
3. Select a Field type.
4. Click Add.
6. Click Validate and Import.
- This option will only be available once every column has been either mapped or dismissed.
7. If needed, check the box to Save this mapping as an import template.
8. Click Return to Contacts.
- You will receive an email when the import is complete.
Correcting Import Errors
If you received an error message when importing contacts to Canopy, you can easily fix the errors and reimport. Error messages are sent by notification in Canopy. To get started, click on your profile in Canopy.
1. Click Notifications.
2. Click on the notification about import errors to resolve them.
- The Download Invalid Rows window will pop up.
3. Click Okay.
4. Open the downloaded file to view any errors.
- Pay particular attention to the Row Error column to know what errors are in that row.
5. Correct the stated errors in your .CSV file.
6. Re-import your .CSV file.
- Referring to the Contact Import Templates article can help minimize the amount of errors you may have in your .CSV file.
Merging Duplicate Import Contacts
If you have duplicate import contacts, Canopy will notify you through a notification message. To get started, click on your profile in Canopy.
1. Click Notifications.
2. Click on the notification about duplicate contacts to resolve them.
3. On the Possible Duplicates Found screen, review the list of contacts.
- You will be prompted to either Merge or Keep Separate each possible duplicate.
4. Click Merge to combine the duplicate contacts.
- Click Keep Separate to create two individual contacts with that information.
5. When merging contacts, you may be prompted to choose between two unique identifiers on the contacts you are merging.
6. Click Finish.
- The Contacts Dashboard will load with your newly imported contacts.