Add a Contact
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Product Education Video Series
- Practice Management
- Tax Resolution
- Guides for your Clients
- Canopy Mobile App
- Canopy First Steps
- Canopy Updates
Adding a contact is a simple process for both individuals and businesses. To get started, click the Global Add Button in Canopy.
- Roles: Any
- Permissions: Create and Edit Contacts
1. Click Add Contact.
2. Indicate whether this new contact is an Individual or a Business.
- Some contact fields will differ after selecting Business.
3. Enter your client's Name.
- Required fields are indicated by an asterisk (*).
4. Enter a Display Name for your client.
- Display names are meant to help you in-the-event that your client uses a different name than their legal name.
- At the moment, display names are only searchable on the global navigation bar, and in the global inbox.
- Currently, the Display Name will not appear on your client's portal.
5. Select the applicable contact Type.
- If needed, enter a Client Since date.
6. Indicate whether the contact is an Active contact.
- For more information about Active and Inactive contacts, refer to the Marking connections as inactive contacts article.
7. If needed, enter your client's contact information.
- Some of the available information fields:
- Email address
- Phone number
- If needed, click Add [phone number, email, or address] to add additional contact information.
8. If needed, add your client's personal information.
- Available information fields:
- Birth date
- Contact Owner
- SourceContact ID
- Options will vary for Business contacts.
9. If needed, enter any Additional Information or add any Tags to the client.
10. Click Create and manage to navigate to the Client Record.
- Click Create and close to save your contact and resume other work in Canopy.
Edit a Contact
You can edit a contact's information at any time by navigating to their client record in Canopy. To get started, click Contacts on the global navigation bar.