Navigate Tax Organizers
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Product Education Video Series
- Practice Management
- Tax Resolution
- Guides for your Clients
- Canopy Mobile App
- Canopy First Steps
- Canopy Updates
The Organizer allows practitioners to quickly gather and organize tax information from clients in one simple step. Complete the tax survey yourself or send it to your client to fill out themselves. The Tax Organizer also allows you to conveniently upload any relevant tax documents to be stored on Canopy.
Navigate the Tax Organizer
- Roles: Any
- Permissions: Tax Organizers
1. Click the Global Add Button on the global navigation bar.
2. Choose Tax Organizer from the slide-in menu.
3. Fill out all necessary information such as Contact type, Contact, Organizer name, Assignee(s), and Due date.
4. Click Add organizer.
5. From the main organizer page, you are able to begin filling out your client's tax information.
- Answer all questions in the selected section. Once you are done with one section, click Next section.
- If needed, click Upload Documents to upload any applicable supplemental files for the tax form.
6. Send the organizer to the client to complete. For instructions, refer to the Send a Tax Organizer to a Client section below.
7. Once the client has completed the survey and sent it back to you, you will be able to see all of their responses reflected in the Organizer.
- Be sure to click through each section to make sure each question was answered.
- If any corrections are needed, click Resend and include any notes in the Personalized message box.
8. Once the Client Organizer is complete, click the Options icon and select Download form.
- The completed tax form will be downloaded onto your computer.
9. Click Tasks on the global navigation bar.
10. Choose Tax Organizers to view active organizers.
- Here, you can change the status of an Organizer.
- Click the Options icon on the right-hand side to view Archived organizers.
Send a Tax Organizer to a Client
- Roles: Any
- Permissions: Tax Organizers
If you do not have all the information needed to fill out all of the sections yourself, you can send the Organizer to the client to fill out. To get started, click Send in the top left-hand corner of the Organizer.
1. Choose the contact email you would like to send the Organizer to.
- If needed, include a personalized message.
2. Click Send.
- Your client will receive an email that will ask them to complete the form as a Survey in the Client Portal. To better assist your client in completing the survey, please refer them to the Complete a tax organizer article.
3. Back on the main Tax Organizer page, click the Options icon and select Organizer Options.
- Here, you can set the Tax Organizer's access permissions for your client. If you have already sent the Organizer to your client, access will default to On and will allow the client to edit information in the Client Portal.
- To prevent access once the client has returned the Organizer back to you, toggle the slider to On.
Send a Bulk Organizer to Your Clients
Organizers can be sent out to clients in bulk from the contact list. Sending organizers in bulk eliminates the tedium and time-drain of individually sending each client the organizer. To get started, navigate to the Contact List in Canopy.
1. Select the clients you want to send an organizer to.
2. Click on the Send organizer icon.
3. Using the Tax year dropdown, select which organizer to send to your selected contacts.
- The selected year will default to the most recent organizer made available.
4. Note whether any contacts need to be invited to the client portal. The Contacts box will show how many clients will receive an organizer.
- If some of your selected clients still need to be invited to the client portal, the organizer will not be sent an organizer.
- Follow the knowledge base article to Invite Clients to the Client Portal and then return to the these instructions to send them an organizer.
5. As desired, change the Organizer name using the provided text box.
6. Search for and select team members to assign to the organizer using the Assignee(s) dropdown.
- Click Done to close the popout menu.
7. Use the provided date picker to select a Due date.
8. Click Send Organizers to send an organizer to all selected clients with client portal access.
- You can view the Organizer progress in the Activity Log.