Use the Canopy Virtual Drive
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Product Education Video Series
- Practice Management
- Tax Resolution
- Guides for your Clients
- Canopy Mobile App
- Canopy First Steps
- Canopy Updates
The Canopy virtual drive allows you to interact with all of your Canopy files directly on your computer. You can drag and drop files into the virtual drive to upload them to Canopy, open a file in the program of your choice on your computer to edit them, or create copies of the files on your local hard drive. This guide will show you how to access the virtual drive and some of the actions you can take. To use the virtual drive, please make sure you've installed the virtual drive.
- Roles: Any
Permissions: Users require the same permissions to perform actions on the virtual drive as they would in Canopy
- i.e. To edit files, the user must have the Edit Files permission. To view internal files, the user must have the Internal Files permission.
- If a user does not have the requisite permissions, they will encounter a Permission Denied (403) error on the virtual drive's information window.
1. Open the Windows File explorer.
2. Locate the Canopy Virtual Drive in the navigation pane.
3. Navigate through Canopy Files and Folders that you have access to.
- Depending on your permissions, you may navigate through Contact Files, My Files, or Internal Files using the respective folders on the virtual drive.
4. Drag files from your desktop to a folder on the virtual drive to upload the files to Canopy.
5. Open a file in the program of your choice on your desktop. When you save any changes, that file will automatically be updated in Canopy.
- While files are being edited, they will be locked in Canopy.
6. Copy any files from the virtual drive to your local storage, as needed.
Navigate the Virtual Drive Information Window
The Canopy Virtual drive application can be opened to view the information window. The information window shows updated status messages related to any virtual drive actions you take. You can also update the virtual drive from the information window, or reauthorize the drive to work with your account.
1. Search for the Canopy Virtual Drive application.
- You can complete this however you are used to. The quickest way is to press the Windows key on your keyboard and type in Canopy.
- Make sure to choose the virtual drive and not the desktop assistant!
- The virtual drive should be under the name "Canopy"
2. View any errors or status messages in the window.
3. Click Retry on an individual error, or Retry All to retry all errors listed in the information window.
4. Click on Canopy in the topbar navigation to see more app options.
- Click Sign out to disconnect from Canopy.
- Click Re-Authorize to reenter your Canopy login credentials.
- Click Open Storage Folder to view the drive in the file explorer.
- Select Check for updates to manually update the drive.