Pull a Client Transcript
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Training Video Library
- Support Guides
- Tax Resolution
- Guides for Your Clients
- Canopy Mobile App
- Getting Started with Canopy
- Canopy Updates
In order to request a transcript, you will need to input your IRS e-Services login information and have a Power of Attorney registered with the IRS in advance. Without registering for two-factor authentication with the IRS, you will not be able to complete this process. Additionally, you will need to set up Canopy to work with your IRS account. Please refer to our integration setup guide for more information. To get started with pulling a transcript, click Files on the global navigation bar. Alternatively, you can also access transcripts for a specific client at the client level.
- Roles: Any
- Permissions: Transcripts
1. Choose Transcripts in the slide-in menu.
2. Click Request transcript.
3. Select the Contact Type. Options include New or Existing Contact.
- If you select New Contact, you will need to input the client's name and identify whether they are a Business or Individual.
4. Search for and select a contact in the Contact Name menu.
5. Ensure that the SSN/ITIN number is correct.
- If an SSN/ITIN number is assigned to a contact already, the number will autofill after selecting the contact in step 4.
6. Select the Organization you want to pull with.
- This will default to the Primary Organization identified in your integration settings.
7. Select a CAF Number.
8. Add an expiration date for the on-file Power of Attorney form.
9. If desired, select a cadence for when to repeat transcript pulls.
- Options include: Does not repeat, Every week, Every month, Every quarter, or Every year.
10. Specify a Start and End date.
- These options are not visible if Does not repeat was selected in step 9.
11. Click Request transcripts.
Select which Transcript Forms are Pulled
When a transcript is first pulled, Canopy will attempt to pull all available forms and information from the IRS. After the initial pull, users can select which forms are pulled automatically for that client going forward. To get started, click Files on the global navigation bar.
1. Select Transcripts from the slide-out menu.
2. Locate the contact you pulled a transcript for and click the in-line Settings icon (depicted by a cogwheel).
3. Click Manage forms.
4. Select which forms and which years to pull going forward.
- A green box indicates a selected form, a grey box indicates an unselected form.
- You can filter the list by clicking on the available filters on the left-side column.
5. Click Save changes.
- All automatic transcript pulls going forward will only pull the selected forms.