Create a Contact from the Global Inbox
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Practice Management
- Tax Resolution
- Practitioner Mobile App
- Canopy First Steps
- Canopy Updates
- Canopy First Look Webinars
- Guides for your Clients
Table of Contents1. Click on the Add to Contacts icon located beside the sender's name.2. Indicate whether this new contact is an Individual or a Business.3. Enter your client's Name.4. Select the applicable contact Type.5. Indicate whether the contact is an Active contact.6. If needed, enter your client's contact information.7. If needed, add your client's personal information.8. If needed, enter any Additional Information or add any Tags to the client.9. Click Create and manage to navigate to the Contact Profile.10. You can navigate to a client's Contact Profile from the global inbox at any time by clicking one of the blue hyperlinks associated with their name.
New contacts can be added to Canopy directly from an email in the global inbox. To get started, open a relevant email inside the global inbox.
1. Click on the Add to Contacts icon located beside the sender's name.
- Canopy will attempt to pull what information it can from the email to pre-populate the Add Contact modal.
- You can also click on the dropdown arrow next to multiple email addresses (beside the To, CC, or BCC fields) to add a contact from those email addresses.
- If an email address already exists as a contact in Canopy, the icon next to their name will display as blue rather than grey.
2. Indicate whether this new contact is an Individual or a Business.
- Some contact fields will differ after selecting Business.
3. Enter your client's Name.
- Required fields are indicated by an asterisk (*).
4. Select the applicable contact Type.
- If needed, enter a Client Since date.
5. Indicate whether the contact is an Active contact.
- For more information about Active and Inactive contacts, refer to the Marking connections as inactive contacts article.
6. If needed, enter your client's contact information.
- Some of the available information fields:
- Email address
- Phone number
- If needed, click Add [phone number, email, or address] to add additional contact information.
7. If needed, add your client's personal information.
- Available information fields:
- Birth date
- Contact Owner
- Contact ID
- Options will vary for Business contacts.
8. If needed, enter any Additional Information or add any Tags to the client.
9. Click Create and manage to navigate to the Contact Profile.
- Click Create and close to save your contact and resume other work in Canopy.