File Migration with the Desktop Assistant
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Product Education Video Series
- Practice Management
- Tax Resolution
- Guides for your Clients
- Canopy Mobile App
- Canopy First Steps
- Canopy Updates
Uploading Files with File Migration
The File Migration tool is an enhancement of the Canopy Desktop Assistant that allows for users to easily transfer entire file structures from their PC to Canopy Files. To use the Desktop Assistant, you will need to use a Windows OS computer. To get started, open the Desktop Assistant by clicking the Tray Icon in the Windows taskbar.
1. Click on the Settings icon in the Desktop Assistant.
2. Choose Open Migration Tool from the dropdown menu.
3. Upon first use, click through the Getting Started guide.
- The guide will offer 3 pages of tutorial information. Be sure to read through the information to gain a detailed understanding of the File Migration tool.
4. Drag and drop relevant files to the File Migration tool to upload them to Canopy.
- Alternatively, you can click Browse to search for files in an upload menu.
5. To assign a folder to an existing contact in Canopy, click Assign in-line with the relevant folder.
- Input a Contact Name and select and existing Contact.
- Folders that have been smart matched will already have a contact assigned. Click on the Assigned Contact to assign the folder to a different contact.
- Smart Matched folders will have an SM icon between the contact name and the folder options menu.
6. To delete a folder, click on the Options menu in-line with a relevant folder.
Choose Delete from the pop-out menu.
7. Click Upload Assigned to upload all assigned folders to Canopy.
- Note that only assigned folders can be uploaded to Canopy.
8. To view file upload status, click on the Uploads tab.
Viewing and Filtering Completed Uploads
1. In the file migration tool, click on the Uploads tab.
2. Choose Completed from the window selection dropdown menu.
3. To sort completed uploads, click on the Sort by dropdown menu.
4. Select an option from the dropdown menu.
- Available options: Last uploaded, A-Z, and Z-A.
Enabling Smart Match
File Migration’s Smart Matching feature allows for file structures to be intelligently linked to your contacts in Canopy based on the name of your migrating folders. To get started, open the File Migration tool in the Canopy Desktop Assistant.
1. Click the Options menu.
2. Choose Enable Smart Match from the dropdown menu.
- If Smart Match is already enabled, you will only see the option to Disable Smart Match.