Edit a File using the Desktop Assistant
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Product Education Video Series
- Practice Management
- Tax Resolution
- Guides for your Clients
- Canopy Mobile App
- Canopy First Steps
- Canopy Updates
Canopy's desktop assistant allows you to edit files in Canopy using whichever native editing applications you have on your computer. When you choose a file to edit in Canopy, the desktop assistant will open the file in the designated application on your computer. Make any needed edits and save your file. The desktop assistant will automatically update the file in Canopy to reflect your edits. To get started, navigate to a relevant File in Canopy.
- Permissions: Edit Files; Unlock Files (to Unlock files currently opened by the Desktop Assistant);
1. Right-click on a relevant File in Canopy.
2. Select Edit file from the popup menu.
- The Canopy Desktop Assistant will launch the file in the default application on your computer.
- i.e. If you have Microsoft Excel selected as your default program to open .CSV files, your .CSV file will open in Microsoft Excel.
- While your file is being edited with the Desktop assistant, the file will be Locked in Canopy, preventing other users from altering the file.
3. Make any necessary edits to your file within the associated application.
4. When finished, click Save.
- Do not click Save As or change the file name or location.
- The desktop assistant will re-upload your file to Canopy and your file will be unlocked.
5. Files that are still Open in the desktop assistant can be viewed under the Open edits tab.
6. If the file doesn't automatically re-upload to Canopy, click Sync to Canopy to manually sync the file.
Unlock Files that are Locked by the Desktop Assistant
Files that are opened by the Desktop Assistant will be locked on Canopy until the edited file is reuploaded to Canopy. While files are locked, other users cannot alter the file in Canopy. Only the user who has opened the file, or those with the Unlock Files permission can unlock a file. Unlocking a file will cancel any file edits and revert the file to its previous version in Canopy.
- Unlock Files
1. Navigate to the locked file in Canopy.
2. Right-click on the file to open a popup menu.
3. Select Unlock file from the popup menu.
- Note that any changes made to that file will not be saved.